Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp - What to Expect
After an hour and a half, 125km drive from Arusha, we arrived at Lake Manyara National Park. A very special location just a 16km drive within the National Park lies the Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp. Situated on a little rise overlooking the huge lake, this is the perfect place to spend a night on the way to the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp and the Serengeti Tortilis Camp.
An impressive row of fully furnished tents sits proudly at the foot of the Rift Valley Escarpment perfectly appointed to gaze over the large expanse of Lake Manyara. Most accommodation in the area is outside the National Park.
We were fortunate enough to stay in one of only three camps inside, and what a privilege it was to wake up after a night in the Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp and experience the sunrise over the huge soda lake. It felt like we’d discovered a lesser-known treasure of Northern Tanzania.
Malunga the Giant Maasai
The energetic singing welcome from the staff at the Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp is the perfect tonic to energise us after a flight into Arusha and the road trip to this private and secluded location.
The staff remained warm and attentive throughout our stay, but there was one immense personality who stood out from them all. Malunga is a giant of a man and somewhat of a legend amongst his Maasai people. Calm and stoically he smiles from deep down inside his huge frame and his sheer girth lends a tremendous impetus to the comfort the staff exude.
There’s so much to do in the Lake Manyara area and our Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp is situated perfectly to make the most of the many activities.
- Safari drive amongst wild game
- Yoga overlooking Lake Manyara
- Trip to the Soda Lake with thousands of pink flamingos
- Over two-thirds of the park is covered by water, so a guided walking tour is a must
- Bird watching of over 350 species
- Bush fire and drinks at sunset
- Trip to the Banana plantations of the town, Mta wa Mbu
- Private lunch or dinner under an acacia tree
The Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp is beyond comfortable, it is a glorious place to spend time between activities. Spacious, clean, and welcoming in every way, the below list is some of what makes up this Tortilis Camp over looking the beauty of Lake Manyara:
- Mess tent for meals
- Bar area with fully stocked bar and friendly dedicated bar-tender at any time
- Lounge and games area to relax in. This space has books on birds and information of the area, sofa’s to relax on and is generally a great area to comfortably spend time in.
Every tent includes:
- Hot water for showers
- Bathroom, private lavatory
- Local artwork and fabric decor creating an authentic look and feel
- Fresh laundry and towels
- Large four poster bed with mosquito nets
- Turn downs by staff while you have dinner
Sumptuous dining in the dedicated mess tent is a mix of local and international options from the dynamic menu and of the same high standard as the rest of this incredible Tortilis Camps experience.
Breakfasts are brimming with choices. Coffee and teas of the world along with fresh fruits, continental pastries and a full English breakfast menu are spread out to enjoy while you watch the camp come alive with acitivity. Breakfast tip: The friendly staff wait on guests for all meals and can have the chef whip up a sumptuous omelette or just order eggs done the way you love them.
Dinner is a great way to recap the day and we enjoyed our driver joining us so we could ask those questions about the area that we missed during the drive. The options for both vegetarians and meat eaters are generous, well presented, and delicious.
Book your own Lake Manyara Experience
The Tortilis Camps are tremendously warm and welcoming, it’s so easy arriving and so difficult saying goodbye.
If you would like to visit the Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp, contact the booking Team. They’ll create a custom trip that meets your specific wishes to leave you with everlasting memories.